Friday 17 April 2015

Blooming glacier lilies on the eastern flanks of the Livingstone Range

(Editor's Note: We always enjoy hearing from David McIntyre, our dedicated guest blogger. He is an accomplished naturalist and lives up in the headwaters. His sightings and photos of flora and fauna are delightful. This is to send you off into the weekend inspired to discover your own natural treasures in our beautiful watershed.)

I'm copying Jim Prentice's office as he was just here on the Livingstone Range landscape, and has fond memories of it that predate his political career. I'm thinking that Mr. Prentice, should he see this message, might like a protect-the-Livingstone-Range wildflower to brighten his campaign lapel.

Herds of deer and elk are visible in the Rock Creek valley again this morning, but they didn't beat me to what I captured yesterday afternoon. Out there amid high winds and snow squalls, I, beaten and battered, but not quite knocked down, finally "bagged," before the deer, elk or grizzlies beat me to it, a blooming glacier lily.

The attached image, a simple iPhone capture, shows the first blooming lily I've been able to stuff inside a camera. As you'll recall, I shot one that was opening almost a week ago, only to return the following day to find that it, and dozens more, had been eaten.

The pictured flower comes from the same GPS point previously provided. Yesterday, when I took the picture, hundreds of blooming spring beauties surrounded a handful of opening glacier lilies.

Please let me know if I've provided Alberta with its first glacier lily of the season.

Elsewhere on the land, boreal chorus frogs are singing … and spring, between snow squalls, is in the air. The land's turning green.

Other bloomers of late that I haven't previously reported: moss phlox, kittentail, yellowbell, early cinquefoil and white Draba.

The best to you,

David




David McIntyre
Crowsnest Pass, AB  T0K 0C0  



No comments:

Post a Comment