Wednesday 20 May 2015

Bravo! A most welcome development from AERSD

(Editor's Note: Guest Blogger Elspeth Nickle has kudos and a question for the provincial government.)
Dear Sir:
I have not been in contact for some time. Lately, I have been very busy with an illness in the family.
Nonetheless, I felt I should get in touch when my husband brought these two articles to my attention.


In the first, I am hugely pleased by the direction AERSD is taking this summer to control random camping and ATV activity in the Crowsnest/Castle area.  It will be always be a challenge to find the right balance between allowing public access to Alberta's fabulous and valuable wilderness and the need to protect this fragile wilderness from undue harm.  This is a good first step in the right direction!

The second does not pertain to the Crowsnest/Castle area but I think is a very good indication of the direction law enforcement is taking. It is hugely heartening to see that at least one member of the RCMP feels he can go on record saying he "would like to set up a special task force to address the growing problem on Alberta's public lands. . .It would be nice to have a group of us spearheading environmental protection with the RCMP. It's really, really important."  I couldn't agree more!
Anywhere in the Eastern Slopes ... anytime ...
 On another note, I am very interested in the results of the study conducted this past winter on water conservation/production issues in the Star Creek area. Where can I find the conclusions from this research project?  Even if there are only preliminary results available at this point, I would greatly appreciate any information you can make available to me.  I am hoping that you will not tell me that there are no "publishable" results as yet and that more study is required.  I am sure you agree that the researchers must also operate under a very stringent mandate which does not allow them to research and experiment forever — and without proper oversight in regard to protecting the watershed.
Photo courtesy crowsnestconservation.ca
 I look forward to hearing from you when you have a chance to get back to me.  In the meantime, bravo on the recent direction taken by AERSD to monitor and protect Alberta's watershed from excessive random camping and ATV activity!
Sincerely,

Elspeth Nickle


No comments:

Post a Comment